The cockroach is among the most hated insects in the world. They hide in dirt and suddenly out of the darkest corners, jump flying in unexpected directions e.g. in your face and seem indestructible. In addition, they stink, cause allergies and carry diseases. To top it off, cockroach is one of the toughest living being there.
You now a cockroach can live being headless more than a week. The head of cockroach is not as important as we think. The nervous system of the cockroach brain does not depend so much on it, so the headless cockroach still can learn new things like raising its legs to avoid electrical shock. Cockroaches breathe through spiracles along their bodies, so they can breathe perfectly well without head and can last more than a month without eating, which eventually kills the headless cockroach because of dehydration.
Cockroaches are larger as well as smaller in size than we think. The heaviest cockroach is found in Australia which weighs up to 33.5 grams and measures up to 8 centimeters long and lives up to 10 years and is one of the insects with longer life expectancy. Blaberoides Megaloblatta, a South American species has a wingspan of up to 18.5 centimeters. The smallest cockroach, Attaphila fungicola, measures just 3 millimeters long and lives among the fungi that grows the leafcutter ants in their anthills.
The rumor that it could survive a nuclear explosion is true. In this perspective, it seems a bit ridiculous to try to kill them with a pesticide spray. In fact, the pesticides are not very effective against cockroaches. If you want to get rid of cockroaches in your home, you need a serious strategy and find the best way to get rid of roaches.
- It is not possible to control cockroaches by just spraying pesticides.
- Baits are a more effective strategy.
- You need to use several strategies together to eliminate an infestation of cockroaches.
- Cleaning is an integral part of the permanent solution and is irreplaceable.
Using a Cockroach Trap
- Cockroach traps can be purchased at hardware stores. Purchase several traps and place them on the floor, on the banks of the walls, in cupboards and anywhere where they can find food.
- Check the traps every morning and replace as necessary.
- Sticky traps with pheromones may serve as a good support in the elimination of cockroaches.
- Traps can serve not only to kill cockroaches, but also as a source of information about its origin, habits and population.